Today I took a bit of a tumble on my way to school. I was driving along on my e-bike, and I had a green light. There were 5 seconds left of green, which would then be followed by 3 seconds of yellow. I was good to go, because I was right on top of the stop line at this point. As soon as I crossed the stop line, a bonehead in a 3 wheel e-bike just pulled off the sidewalk directly in front of me, and started going across the crosswalk.
I have two choices, I can:
A. Hit her, but it’s gonna hurt
B. Hit the breaks hard, because she is right there, and probably drop the bike because they aren’t made to stop on a dime at 30kph.
I decided the brakes were the way to go. Sure enough, down the bike went. My elbow connected with the pavement, and then my knee. I heard the bike crash as it hit. My head was well clear of the ground though. My very first thought, “Crap, my jeans are torn now. I can’t afford to lose clothes here, they are too hard to get.” I looked at my knee, no hole in the jeans. Maybe they are ok. Then I was looking up from the pavement at my bike’s mirror. I looked at the woman driving away in her little 3 wheel box. She looked back at me on the ground, gave her shoulders what looked like a shrug, and kept on driving.
Now, everyone is staring at me like I am a side show or something, and something is going to happen. I know people don’t always help someone who has fallen on an e-bike, but most of the time there is 1 person, or 2 who will help. Not with me, just stare. So, I picked myself up (keep in mind this is less than 30 second period, not the eternity it felt like), and brought my bike to the side of the road to see if I, or it was too damaged to drive. We were fine, except for a piece of cracked plastic I found when I got to school. The plastic of course was on the bike, not myself.
By this time the cop who was on the opposite corner from me (diagonal) had almost reached me. I just gave him a wave to say, I’m not dead, I don’t need help now, thank you, but no thanks.
When I got to school, my girlfriend was a little more concerned with my state than she was with the state of the bike, or my pants… especially my pants. I assured her I was fine, which was met with caring scepticism. It’s good to know she cares. 🙂
I am reminded of my driving rule (regardless of where I am driving). Between 80, and 90% of the drivers on the road are not going to do anything super stupid. The other 10% will run the gambit from, “What are you doing,” to, “Did you eat paint chips as a child, cause you are a moron.” Because of these 10%, always drive like everyone has the possibility of doing something moronic. I met someone doing their moronic thing today.
All this to say, I am fine. I am annoyed, but I am happy my pants are not torn. I have a spot of road rash less than the size of a dime on my arm, and I am not going to worry about it. This could have happened anywhere in the world, it just happened here this time.